Kerry and Jordan chat about ICBA’s featured course this week.
Employment Standards Refresher
Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2023 | 9-10:30AM PDT
Missed this one? Check out icba.ca/courses
Employment standards legislation sets the rules for employment practices in your office and in the field. Your current work rules may fall short of your statutory obligations even though they are well accepted by your staff or seem like standard practice. If you learn too late that you are not in compliance you may be faced with certain consequences including owing months of back pay in wages.
This 1.5-hour online seminar will give you a review of the BC and Alberta-specific legislative requirements that are particularly relevant to construction industry employers, including:
- Exemptions in certain construction-related jobs
- Identifying the exempt “manager”
- Independent contractors vs. employees
- Hours of work and overtime
- Averaging agreements for hours of work / Averaging arrangements
- Vacation and statutory holidays
- Paid sick days
- Job-protected leaves of absence
- Termination of employment
- Impact of the common law